Time for the September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate Market Report
Happy September y'all. Can you BELIEVE IT! It's AUTUMN!!! HOORAY!!!! (Can you guess what my favorite season is? 😁) The calendar tells us it's autumn. And today, FINALLY, the weather man did too – with lows in the 50s and a high of only 81!!!! Not only that! It's also time for my latest update! The September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate Market Report. And as is the norm for real estate reports – it's mostly last month's numbers – August 2021. But FIRST…
Those of you who follow me on my Facebook page, @RosevilleCaliforniaJoys , may have noticed I have fun sharing various pictures to make us smile, educate us, and update us on the various happenings in our area, our neighborhoods, and in our real estate world as it applies to us. Some I make, some I buy, and some I subscribe to and they are vetted by me for accuracy and to ensure it goes along with my core values that I strive to apply for each of my readers and my clients.
Today I was reviewing some and a couple I really liked. But for the first time there were two I really DISliked! Oh, don't get me wrong. The pictures themselves were cute. The definitions were accurate. BUT they both were encouraging two things I personally do not recommend. Nothing illegal. Nothing “wrong.” BUT both can be a mega pain in the neck – and could even cost you your house, credit or both. Do you remember either of these? They were very popular right before the crash of around 2007-2009
Adjustable Rate Mortgages
Adjustable rate mortgages! We bought our first house in Roseville after relocating from Southern California and we were happy to assume the loan the sellers had with a 4% ADJUSTABLE interest rate. I admit – for us, it made good sense at the time. It enabled us to buy a bigger house than we would normally be able to afford. And back then, interest rates were normally 7-8% anyway. We were reasonably certain we would see salary bumps that could cover the interest rate if it went up. I can understand us making that choice. But go up they did and by the time we sold it, we had been at the 9% for quite a while. Happily incomes had also risen so we did ok. BUT what if we had gambled on an even higher top rate to get a lower bottom rate. For that matter, what if we had done it right before 2007! Our interest rates would have gone up and our property value would have dropped! But I personally don't like to gamble and especially not with a home loan. So as a general rule, I personally recommend going with a fixed rate of insurance. Especially right now.
And OYYYYY – to me, the second is even worse. An interest only loan. I remember, a couple of months before things started heading south, talking to a fellow passenger on a plane while I was heading back east to visit friends and family. He was very excited about his gorgeous and HUGE new home – and casually mentioned he had an interest only loan. Based on our conversation, I suspect he was one of the many MANY foreclosures that came from all the poor loan practices being followed at the time. As ConsumerFinance.gov explains it:
What is an “interest-only” loan?
An interest-only mortgage is a loan with scheduled payments that require you to pay only the interest for a specified amount of time.
The amount that you owe on the loan does not go down with each payment. Once the interest-only period ends, you may have several options:
Paying off the loan balance all at once
Refinancing the mortgage loan, if refinancing is available
Beginning to pay off the balance in monthly payments, which are higher than the interest-only payments
Tip: Don't assume you’ll be able to sell your home or refinance your loan if your payment increases. The value of your property could decline or your financial condition could change. If you can’t afford the higher payments on today’s income, consider another loan.
“Interest-only loans are generally for those folks that are probably not going to be in the property for a long period of time,” says Jim Linnane, president of retail lending at Stearns Lending. “They’re usually thinking in five-, seven- or 10-year increments.”
The best-suited borrowers have cash and liquid investment assets and are in a “very strong financial position,” Linnane says. “The fact that they are not reducing principal is not a danger for them.”
If you do need a loan, be sure to find a lender in the local area where you plan to buy. I work with some terrific lenders I can recommend to you. With the market still such a strong seller's market, an offer that includes using a local lender can often beat out other offers, as some of my buyers AND sellers can attest to! 😀
On to the Real Estate Update
September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate Market Report
On to the September 2021 Roseville CA real estate market report! I've been hearing positive things about a wee bit of slowing and a bit more normalcy. Is it true? Or is it just hopeful thoughts from others? Time for the Metrolist MLS to help us figure that out. Since we are currently working with buyers who continue to be plugging away but still a bit frustrated with the market, I definitely want to check it out for the areas we are working in. So here are the new numbers to compare to the past few months in Roseville that I've shared including a deeper dive into the 55+ retirement communities we appreciate. And that always includes our largest – the beautiful and active Sun City Roseville Golf Retirement Community. Starting off, let's take a newly updated look at all 3 zip codes combined for Roseville CA – 95678, 95661, and 95747 which includes all four of our beautiful 55+ active senior retirement home communities. We'll be looking at all single family homes between $300,000 – $999,999 as those are the numbers we have focused on in the past few months. 😀
There are currently 149 Roseville homes for sale as of September 27, 2021. (Interestingly – I started this post on September 18, but was working with several buyers so got a bit slowed down on this post – as my awesome clients always come first! 😀👍. On September 18, there were 151 homes for sale.
September Real Estate Stats for Roseville – All Zip Codes – For August Activity
- Number of homes sold in Roseville CA August 1-August 31, 2021 – 214
- Average price per square foot of all homes sold in Roseville in August – $321 per sq ft
- Average days on market for all homes sold in Roseville in August- 10 days
- Average sold price for Roseville homes sold in August – $620,000! This was down 1.1% compared to last month but up 15.2% compared to last year
- The average sold to list price was down 1% from last month but up 3% from last year which will encourage my buyers and still isn't bad for my sellers.
- And hooray! We have more homes for sale – The number of homes we have available right now is up 18.8% compared to last month and up 21.3% compared to last year. That's only about half a month of current inventory all told but still, it is UP and I'm happy about that!
- So we are still in a strong seller's market BUT there does appear to be a tad bit of softening which is great for buyers!
- As I mentioned last month, this is traditionally when we see things start slowing down. It's almost AUTUMN (September 27, 2021). Last I checked, Apple Hill is open – even with the fire issues. (Click here for their map.) Pumpkin Patches are ramping up. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas – lots of fun means fewer buyers usually and a bit of market softening which we are, indeed, seeing to a small extent. The good side of all that – for sellers: more serious buyers; for buyers – less competition. 😁
Some of the Lovely Homes for sale in Roseville CA Currently
Roseville Real Estate Market Report By Each Zip Code
September 2021 Roseville CA 95678 Real Estate Market Report
This area has lovely old neighborhoods with sweet historic options combined with newer neighborhoods with upgrades galore. It is also home to Downtown Roseville with the Vernon Street Town Square which is regularly spotlighted throughout the year with a raft of fun holiday happenings – covid-issues permitting.
You can find the latest Roseville events flyer by clicking HERE.
You can find the latest Parks, Recreation, and Libraries Guide – ROSEVILLE PRL – by clicking here – Roseville.CA.US/Guide.
And I just heard from the Downtown Merchants Association that their Family Fun Night will be held again this year and they will be hosting a trick-or-treat drive-thru like last year with details to come. Family Fun Night is always the Thursday before Halloween, so this year it will be October 28, 2021. 🎃
There are currently 27 Roseville 95678 homes for sale.
September Real Estate Stats for Roseville 95678 – for August Activity
- Number of Roseville 95678 homes that were sold during August 1-31, 2021 – 47 – which is down about 20.3% from last month and also down 20.3% compared to last year.
- Average price per square foot of all homes sold in Roseville 95678 – $331.00 per sq ft.
- Average days on market for all Roseville 95678 homes in August – 15 days which is one more day than July.
- The price difference between asking price and actual price also dropped a tad tho most did still sell for over asking.
Check out these beauties:
September 2021 Roseville CA 95661 Real Estate Market Report
Roseville 95661 features two excellent hospitals for Roseville and the surrounding area – Kaiser Roseville Medical Center, 1600 Eureka Rd,, Roseville 95661 and Sutter Roseville Medical Center, 1 Medical Plaza Dr, Roseville, CA 95661 with a Level II Trauma Center. .
There are currently 38 Roseville 95661 homes for sale on the market as of September 27, 2021.
September Real Estate Stats for Roseville 95661 – for August Activity
- Number of Roseville 95661 homes that were sold during August 1-31, 2021 – 39 homes closed – compared to last month's 32.
- Average price per square foot of all homes sold in Roseville 95661 – $325.00 per sq ft.
- Average. days on market for all Roseville 95661 homes in August – 11 days
- Average sold price for 95661 homes sold in August – $660,000.00. This was down 1.8% from last month but up 11.3% from last year.
Enjoy viewing these homes for sale right now:
September 2021 Roseville CA 95747 Real Estate Market Report
95747 is home to four golf courses including Morgan Creek Golf Club, Woodcreek Oaks, and the two Sun City Roseville CA golf courses – featuring both a 9 hole and an 18 hole golf course, not to mention the occasional graceful egret (Can you see it in the left of the photo with the circle of hearts around it?)
There are currently 84 Roseville 95747 homes for sale on the market as of 9/2721.
September Real Estate Stats for Roseville 95747 – for August Activity
- Number of Roseville 95747 homes that were sold during August 1-31, 2021 – 128 homes. Interestingly – that is up 4.1% from last month BUT it was down 22.4% from last year.
- Average price per square foot of all homes sold in Roseville 95747 – $316.00 – That number is up 1.9% compared to last month and 27.9% compared to last year!
- Average days on market for all Roseville 95747 homes in July – 9 days.
- Average sold price for Roseville 95747 homes sold in August – $638,000.00. This was down .9% compared to last month. And it was up 18.1% compared to last year!
- In August 2021, there was only .5 months of inventory in Roseville 95747 available on the MLS. Which is actually UP 23.9% from last year. But it's still so low that we are still in a Seller's Market.
Check out these interesting homes for sale:
September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate – Homes in 55+ Retirement Communities
Our four lovely 55+ retirement home communities in Roseville CA 95747 have stayed pretty active real estate-wise throughout the season of covid, even when the activity areas were mostly shut down due to state requirements for Covid. Happily Sun City's activities are all back open. I was showing various homes to clients last week and was so happy to see it back to bustling with happy activities.
I just checked and CURRENTLY (September 27, 2021) there are 17 homes available! 3 are in the Silverado Homes at Eskaton Village off Blue Oaks which I showed last week and they are all gorgeous and perfect for those seeking extra help with aging in place options for themselves or their loved one, 1 is in Del Webb's The Club at Westpark – off Pleasant Grove and Fiddyment, 1 at Solaire Heritage off Pleasant Grove just past Westbrook, and Sun City Roseville CA – off Blue Oaks, Fiddyment, Pleasant Grove – has the most with 12 homes currently available. Here they are (though it will change daily as homes are added or sold off the MLS).
September Real Estate Stats and Fascinating Facts for Roseville Homes in 55+ Retirement Community – for August Activity
- Number of Roseville's 55+ homes that were sold during August 1-31, 2021 – 32 homes sold which is the same amount as last month.
- Average sold price per square foot for Roseville's 55+ homes sold in August – $350.84
- 2 homes sold for less than asking price, 8 homes sold for the asking price, and 22 homes sold for above asking price.
- Of the homes that went for over asking – the amount over ranged from $4,000 – $68,500!!!
- Sold prices ranged from $450,000 – 801,000. Average sold price for Roseville's 55+ homes sold in August is about $609,709 – which is higher than last month.
- 1 sold in the Lennar Heritage Solaire 55+ retirement community for $675,000 – and went for about $20,000 over list price
- 9 sold in Del Webb The Club at Westpark – with prices ranging from $570,000 – $699,000.
- 2 sold in Silverado Homes at Eskaton Village – for $450,000 each
- 20 sold in Del Webb Sun City Roseville golf course retirement community – for prices ranging from $452,000 – $801,000
- The fastest a house sold was 1 days, the slowest one sold was 25 and the average was 8 days.
- In addition to both having the lowest price 55+ homes in Roseville, Sun City and Silverado Homes also do NOT have a Mello Roos (extra property tax annual payment) while Heritage Solaire and The Club both do. So for those on a definite budget, Sun City and Silverado Homes have some great options. All four communities do have HOAs – Silverado Homes have the highest HOA monthly payment BUT they also are the only community where all the outside maintenance is taken care of by the HOA (except, perhaps, HVAC). All great tips to keep in mind when retirement house shopping.
- 21 of the homes sold only got one offer. Those homes ranged from $450,000 – $720,000
- 6 got 2 offers, 575,000-801,000
- 4 got 3 offers425000-608000
- 1 got 4 offers, that started with $518,000 and ended up with $587,500. This Sun City home was beautifully decorated – inside and out!
- At least 3 of the homes had lovely views – and two of those three went for UNDER the asking price.
- Even more good news for buyers – Days on market for the current available homes are: 4, 7, 8, 8, 9, 11,12, 12,13,13, 17, 18, 20, 23, 25, 42, 47 – longer days on market can sometimes translate into good deals for buyers. 😀
- .If you'd like to see a few more facts and figures – email me at KayeSwainRE@gmail.com to request a CloudCMA with all the details. Or you can call me at 916-768-0127.
- And as you can probably guess – yes, we are still in a strong seller's market with just not enough homes for all the buyers! As I shared at my Facebook page, Roseville California Joys…
Bottom Line From Our September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate Market Report
All told, the market has slowed a tiny bit. Even better, it has not gone up as astronomically as much as the past few months. But again, it is autumn. It is also the beginning of the fun holiday season. Only time will tell. That being said, with longer days on market – there is less competition – always a nice thing for buyers.
You can access all my market reports at the link above – KayeSwain.com/market-report. And if you are buying or selling, I'd love to help you with all your real estate needs. I strive to make the process as easy as possible for YOU!
Want to explore a bit further? Give me a buzz if you'd like to see any of these! And don't forget about your free home warranty!
P.P.S. * Information provided by Sacramento MetroList and Trendgraphix. All reports and info were published August 2021, based on data available at the end of August 2021, except for today’s stats (as they can get updated continually through the day). All reports presented are based on data supplied by the MetroList MLS. The MetroList MLS does not guarantee or is not in anyway responsible for its accuracy. Data maintained by the MetroList MLS may not reflect all real estate activities in the market. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. And fyi – stats can be changed at any time as items are updated so may vary.
Contents of this article...
- Time for the September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate Market Report
- September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate Market Report
- Roseville Real Estate Market Report By Each Zip Code
- September 2021 Roseville CA 95678 Real Estate Market Report
- September 2021 Roseville CA 95661 Real Estate Market Report
- September 2021 Roseville CA 95747 Real Estate Market Report
- September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate – Homes in 55+ Retirement Communities
- Bottom Line From Our September 2021 Roseville CA Real Estate Market Report